A massage is one of today’s most popular spa treatments. Most people try this activity to experience the relaxing effects of human touch. But, that’s not all. Aside from relaxation, this therapy can also offer several health perks. To give you a better idea, here are the various benefits of getting a massage.
1. EASES YOUR BACK PAINPeople with a desk job will often complain about a back pain, which affects their efficiency and productivity. A common cause of this problem is sitting for a long period. However, taking a pain reliever is not the best option to resolve this discomfort. Instead, you can opt for a drug-free method like a massage therapy. A qualified therapist can help soften tensed muscles and ease your pain. An added bonus is that a massage therapy is an excellent way to relax and ease your worries. Once you’ve returned to your work, you’ll feel invigorated and motivated.
2. REDUCES HEADACHESOne of the most common benefits of getting a massage is reducing the occurrence of tension headaches. As you know, a usual sign that you are under too much stress is when you experience frequent headaches. Fortunately, a massage therapy can help reduce stress, promoting a relaxed state of mind. Furthermore, a massage therapist can also soften tight muscles on your shoulders, neck, and head – another common cause of a headache. However, keep in mind that the massage’s effects are temporary. Thus, it is best to get regular massage therapies and practice various self-care activities, like meditating and doing a digital detox.
3. MAY HELP RELIEVE PREMENSTRUAL SYNDROME (PMS)A lot of women experience PMS symptoms, like bloating and mood swings, one to two weeks before their period. These symptoms typically occur due to the rise and fall of hormone levels during your menstrual cycle. But, this doesn’t mean that you have to endure these discomforts on a monthly basis. Fortunately, there are ways to relieve or lessen the occurrence of these symptoms. One, in particular, is through a massage therapy. In fact, some spas now offer a “period massage” to calm and comfort women when their PMS is at its peak. Remember, stress can worsen PMS symptoms. So, as much as possible, try to practice relaxing activities and pamper yourself during this period.
4. REDUCES POST-WORKOUT SORENESS AND ACHESAnother great perk in this list of benefits of getting a massage is relieving post-workout pain and soreness. In fact, this type of therapy is an excellent way to beat a fitness plateau. Remember, when you exercise, especially when strength training, your muscle tissues are torn, resulting in soreness and pain. A massage therapy will not only ease these discomforts but hasten your healing process as well. This effect occurs by improving your blood flow, making sure that every part of your body gets the nutrients you absorb. Plus, a massage therapy can also help restore your tight muscles to their normal state.
5. PROMOTES A YOUNGER APPEARANCEAs mentioned, a massage therapy stimulates your blood flow. This effect will not only ensure that sufficient amounts of oxygen and nutrients go to your skin cells, but it can also add vigor to your dull complexion. Moreover, this procedure can also stimulate lymphatic drainage, resulting in the elimination of toxic compounds inside your body. Lastly, as a relaxing activity, a massage therapy can also ward-off the aging effects of too much stress, such as wrinkles and bags under the eyes. Of course, following an excellent skincare routine and eating the right kinds of foods are also essential to achieve a youthful appearance.
6. IMPROVES YOUR MENTAL HEALTHAside from those benefits of getting a massage, this activity also improves your mental health. Basically, a massage therapy will not only reduce your cortisol (stress hormone) levels but increase your serotonin (happy hormone) levels as well. Furthermore, this relaxing activity also promotes better sleep. All these effects can lead to a peaceful and blissful state of mind.